1. The first step in temptation is often the least obvious. We are given a false impression by Satan that whatever wrong we do really is not serious.
2. Second, Satan makes us see something, someone, or some situation which he is sure will appeal to our self life.
3. Third, this produces, unless we understand his tactics, a powerful response within us.
4. Fourth, we begin to toy with this idea.
5. Fifth, we proceed to act on that which was presented to us in such a subtle, skillful manner.
6. Sixth and final step, we hide the defeat.
RESPONDING TO TEMPTATIONS
There are three definite, simple, and positive ways by which our Heavenly Father delivers us from the evil one.
1. The first of these is simply this: God is always present. We
are His children and His gracious Spirit resides with us.
2. The second is really a very homespun, happy method. He endows us, by His Spirit, with spiritual common sense, which He expects us to use in avoiding temptation.
3. The third method of coping with evil that our Heavenly Father has given us is the ability to battle it. There are bound to be times when we suddenly find ourselves struggling with Satan or sin or self, almost without warning.
Some key verses for defeating the enemy:
James 4:7, "Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." There is a sense in which God expects His Children to be brave and bold in counter attacking Satan. We should never slide into sinning without a struggle.
2 Timothy 1:7, "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."
1 John 4:4, "You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world."